Old 19-04-2003, 03:20 PM
swroot

Default Killing Clematis armandii

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
William Tasso wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

Why the height restriction? it sounds like a cupboard with the door off ;o)

Under a kitchen window. For related reasons, it can't be more than
about 1' thick - I forgot to mention that.

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space.

You could espalier an exotic-ish fruit onto the wall if you could find
something on the right rootstock -- peach or nectarine or almond. Add a
small and interesting clematis perhaps. Underplant with some of the
more exotic bulbs (among my favourites for such a location would be
_Nectaroscordion siculum_, _Iris_ Katherine Hodgkin, Iris graminea,
_Iris bucharica_).

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley