Old 17-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Killing Clematis armandii

Well, I have probably done that :-( But there wasn't much option,
as it had got terribly tangled in a space far too small for it, and
I had to prune it right back to very old stems.

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space. Also,
many of them are a bit tender for me (e.g. Holboellia latifolia
thrives but its buds get frosted). Clematis alpina would do well,
but I have one of them and always like something new.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Well, I have probably done that :-( But there wasn't much option,
as it had got terribly tangled in a space far too small for it, and
I had to prune it right back to very old stems.

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space. Also,
many of them are a bit tender for me (e.g. Holboellia latifolia
thrives but its buds get frosted). Clematis alpina would do well,
but I have one of them and always like something new.

Any ideas?

I think Osmanthus (fancy kind of holly) is evergreen and hardy and
supposedly has white flowers in a good summer (according to that chemical
guy, although a nurseryman who sold me one didn't seem to think so). Don't
know whether it's your taste or not.

Old 18-04-2003, 08:44 AM
William Tasso

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

Why the height restriction? it sounds like a cupboard with the door off ;o)

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space.

Camelia perhaps.

--
William Tasso

Old 18-04-2003, 09:33 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
William Tasso wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

Why the height restriction? it sounds like a cupboard with the door off ;o)

Under a kitchen window. For related reasons, it can't be more than
about 1' thick - I forgot to mention that.

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space.

Camelia perhaps.

Wrong soil, I am afraid, and too straggly. Thanks for the suggestion,
though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2003, 03:20 PM
swroot

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
William Tasso wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

Why the height restriction? it sounds like a cupboard with the door off ;o)

Under a kitchen window. For related reasons, it can't be more than
about 1' thick - I forgot to mention that.

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space.

You could espalier an exotic-ish fruit onto the wall if you could find
something on the right rootstock -- peach or nectarine or almond. Add a
small and interesting clematis perhaps. Underplant with some of the
more exotic bulbs (among my favourites for such a location would be
_Nectaroscordion siculum_, _Iris_ Katherine Hodgkin, Iris graminea,
_Iris bucharica_).

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley

Old 22-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Jim W

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Well, I have probably done that :-( But there wasn't much option,
as it had got terribly tangled in a space far too small for it, and
I had to prune it right back to very old stems.

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space. Also,
many of them are a bit tender for me (e.g. Holboellia latifolia
thrives but its buds get frosted). Clematis alpina would do well,
but I have one of them and always like something new.

Any ideas?

Good old Hedera? Try http://www.fibrex.co.uk/
300 different species and cultivars some of which they sell.

There is almost one to suit any condition AFAI can tell. Bound to be
something that takes your fancy.

Incidentally what is up with the main NCCPG site? Seems to have been
taken over by bell ringers?? Weird!
//
Jim