Old 15-03-2010, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Snowdrops

Ben Short wrote:
My wife planted a few dozen bulba last year and none of them have
come up this year. Someone said to her that bulbs don't come up and
one must buy them sprouting ansd then plant them.

Can anyone help please.

They are very sensitive to drying out, so the bulbs you get in shops do
tend to be less successful than buying them "in the green". It's
possible that a few of yours will come up later, but don't bet on it. An
Internet search (try "RHS plant finder") will find you several firms who
sell them with leaves: but I'd order right away, as it's a short season.
Do also compare various firms: prices and delivery charges vary a fair
bit.

Right now, you'll find some for sale in pots in the market: expect to
pay about a quid for a pot of three or four. You should plant these as
they are, without trying to separate the little plants, but rather
deeper than in the pots. A bit expensive, I know; but they'll spread
over the years if they like the spot.

--
Mike.