Old 15-03-2010, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snowdrops

My wife planted a few dozen bulba last year and none of them have come up
this year. Someone said to her that bulbs don't come up and one must buy
them sprouting ansd then plant them.

Can anyone help please.

Ben

Old 15-03-2010, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ben Short wrote:
My wife planted a few dozen bulba last year and none of them have
come up this year. Someone said to her that bulbs don't come up and
one must buy them sprouting ansd then plant them.

Can anyone help please.

They are very sensitive to drying out, so the bulbs you get in shops do
tend to be less successful than buying them "in the green". It's
possible that a few of yours will come up later, but don't bet on it. An
Internet search (try "RHS plant finder") will find you several firms who
sell them with leaves: but I'd order right away, as it's a short season.
Do also compare various firms: prices and delivery charges vary a fair
bit.

Right now, you'll find some for sale in pots in the market: expect to
pay about a quid for a pot of three or four. You should plant these as
they are, without trying to separate the little plants, but rather
deeper than in the pots. A bit expensive, I know; but they'll spread
over the years if they like the spot.

--
Mike.

Old 16-03-2010, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Mar, 23:25, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Ben Short wrote:
[...]

I have bought a couple of lots on Ebay this year, around £10.00 they
are all sitting up and taking notice, very good.
David Hill
Old 16-03-2010, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Ben Short
writes
My wife planted a few dozen bulba last year and none of them have come
up this year. Someone said to her that bulbs don't come up and one must
buy them sprouting ansd then plant them.

Can anyone help please.

If you are anywhere close to West Berkshire, I sell the freshly-dug
plants in pots from the gate, and we are very busy. They work out at
about 10p a plant.

If you are interested I will e-mail you my details.

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 16-03-2010, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-03-15 22:50:01 +0000, "Ben Short" said:

My wife planted a few dozen bulba last year and none of them have
come up this year. Someone said to her that bulbs don't come up and
one must buy them sprouting ansd then plant them.
Can anyone help please.
Ben

They take much better if planted 'in the green'. Prices vary hugely so
check before you buy. We've just sent 2000 to someone in NE England
and all our stock here has gone, so I'm not touting! They are
immensely popular and start streaming out as soon as they come in. You
need to be looking now or it will be too late. The little bulbs you
buy in packets are all-too-often dried out and lifeless.

Although they are not necessarily from a known source there are zillions
available on E-bay at the moment. I've just ordered a relatively small
amount in the green (which almost all are at the moment) from someone
who has a very strong seller's reputation. Most of the reputable
nurseries, such as Sacha's, seem to be receiving great demand. It seems
that the galanthophiles are on the march!

--
Gopher .... I know my place!

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops Cavalier United Kingdom 21 05-02-2003 12:57 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM