Old 16-03-2010, 09:23 PM
tigersprout tigersprout is offline
Registered User

Default New forum member in need of weed control assistance

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am perhaps being a little lazy really by not searching for previous posts to help with my problem.
I thought that by asking afresh as it were it might kick start my experience.
I have moved into a house in the midlands and the back garden hasn't been touched in 25 years apart from being strimmed.
Upon clearing the rubbish, I found a 4" carpet of squitch/horse hair I think it is and upon closer inspection, the roots run through out the top soil.
I have usually dug strands out before but the expanse of root system has to be seen to be believed. The garden is overrun. I could get the top soil removed but this in itself and the replacement would be expensive. A systemic weed killer perhaps?? But I hesitate as I wanted to grow on the soil this year. Help anyone?