Old 19-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Rainwater (was: [IBC] Too much lime)

John,
I use reverse osmosis water, as well as several of my friends. This is
essentially distilled water with no minerals.
The plants do great. Minerals are not needed in your everyday water.
Fertilizer is needed as for all potted trees.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
So I gather that these minerals in rainwater are good for trees, or the
lack of minerals in distilled water is bad? I have been using distilled
water because my tapwater results in white deposits (calcium
carbonate, I think) on pots and trunks. I don't think they're harmful, just
unappealing to look at. Any way to get rid of the calcium carbonate in
tap water? I wonder if rainwater picks up anything nasty from shingles
on the roof?
Cheers,
John Carnes

**