Old 18-03-2010, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Soil amendments Seems more like an Art

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/Garden/07235.html

Wood ash, an organic amendment, is high in both pH and salt. It can
magnify common Colorado soil problems and should not be used as a soil
amendment. Don't add sand to clay soil -- this creates a soil structure
similar to concrete.

I'm not in Colorado and didn't take on board that advice. I'm glad I
didn't. I've used both and had no problems.

Wood ash was a given for our sweet potatoes and other root crops.
Seems what we have or think we have needs some observation to our
local. . Hence the idea as gardening as an art is much like medicine.
Just came in from moving leaves about and looking for signs of mint.
The rosemary protected made it ))))) I like rosemary potato (new)
with olive oil that I purchase. No olives in S Jersey just a lot of
wineries springing up. No local vinegar that I know of yet.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending