Old 17-03-2010, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Soil amendments Seems more like an Art

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/Garden/07235.html

Wood ash, an organic amendment, is high in both pH and salt. It can
magnify common Colorado soil problems and should not be used as a soil
amendment. Don't add sand to clay soil -- this creates a soil structure
similar to concrete.

Wood Products
Wood products can tie up nitrogen in the soil and cause nitrogen
deficiency in plants. Microorganisms in the soil use nitrogen to break
down the wood. Within a few months, the nitrogen is released and again
becomes available to plants. This hazard is greatest with sawdust,
because it has a greater surface area than wood chips. If you plan to
apply wood chips or sawdust, you may need to apply nitrogen fe
If you plan to apply wood chips or sawdust, you may need to apply
nitrogen fertilizer at the same time to avoid nitrogen deficiency.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat...grow/soil.html

Types of amendments
Good organic amendments (additions) for garden soils include wood
by-products such as sawdust and bark mulch, peat moss, rotted manure,
grass or wheat straw, and compost. Inorganic amendments include pumice,
perlite, vermiculite, and sand.

I use wood chips that are about 5 years old that I walk on to break
down. My garden paths are wood chip paths. Mixed with bird feeder
refuse and it is black and fluffy and smells alive. Manured the place
many times 30 years ago and the earth worms are rampant. BUT the
moles/voles/field mice are too. Just got a volunteer mouser that looks
like our deceased midnight but he is afraid of us. I don't blame it in
away as I'd have it fixed in a year.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 17-03-2010, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/Garden/07235.html

Wood ash, an organic amendment, is high in both pH and salt. It can
magnify common Colorado soil problems and should not be used as a soil
amendment. Don't add sand to clay soil -- this creates a soil structure
similar to concrete.

My experience is that you shouldn't add sand to clay, without also
adding 10%-15% organic material (since you're there you may as well
throw in some rock phosphate, as well). As a final touch, grow some
green mulch the has either rye or buckwheat in it, or add some, and a
nitrogen fixer, like beans, peas, or clover. Then cover it all over with
newspaper. Cover the paper with alfalfa (lucern to some). Hose down the
alfalfa. Wait 2 weeks and plant. Bi-monthly feeding with an organic fish
emulsion and maintaining the mulch to a depth of at least 2", and you're
in business.

Old 18-03-2010, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/Garden/07235.html

Wood ash, an organic amendment, is high in both pH and salt. It can
magnify common Colorado soil problems and should not be used as a soil
amendment. Don't add sand to clay soil -- this creates a soil structure
similar to concrete.

I'm not in Colorado and didn't take on board that advice. I'm glad I
didn't. I've used both and had no problems.

Old 18-03-2010, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/Garden/07235.html

Wood ash, an organic amendment, is high in both pH and salt. It can
magnify common Colorado soil problems and should not be used as a soil
amendment. Don't add sand to clay soil -- this creates a soil structure
similar to concrete.

I'm not in Colorado and didn't take on board that advice. I'm glad I
didn't. I've used both and had no problems.

Wood ash was a given for our sweet potatoes and other root crops.
Seems what we have or think we have needs some observation to our
local. . Hence the idea as gardening as an art is much like medicine.
Just came in from moving leaves about and looking for signs of mint.
The rosemary protected made it ))))) I like rosemary potato (new)
with olive oil that I purchase. No olives in S Jersey just a lot of
wineries springing up. No local vinegar that I know of yet.