Old 19-03-2010, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default ID this flower, please?

On 2010-03-19 17:07:02 +0000, "Jeff Layman"
On 2010-03-19 16:37:22 +0000, Eddy
said:

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone ID this beautiful flower? I think its flowers would be
described as "florets"? If so, the florets grow on quite raggedy
bushes that are about a metre tall and a metre wide. I've seen
them only in warm climates - in Fiji, India, and Greece.

It was. It can stop now, thank you very much. It's now lying in
pools on the ground which is sodden! The shrub looks like Lantana.
They're all over the Med. and are grown in this country, too but
I've lost them at -4C. It's a gorgeous shrub and a big favourite
of mine.

We should all be grateful we live in a climate which can't support
Lantana. Regularly considered one of the world's worst invasive
weeds. Think of Rhododendron ponticum, and multiply it by 10!

Not a problem in UK, however. Or have you found it to be so?

Unlikely! But it's a brute in Aus. Compare the US attitude to tamarisk,
or "salt cedar", as they call it (actually, I feel as though I remember
some Americans complaining about it in this newsgroup a few years ago).

--
Mike.