Old 19-03-2010, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID this flower, please?

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone ID this beautiful flower? I think its flowers would be
described as "florets"? If so, the florets grow on quite raggedy
bushes that are about a metre tall and a metre wide. I've seen them
only in warm climates - in Fiji, India, and Greece.

The florets on this bush were orange with red mini-flowers at their
centres. But I've seen bushes where the florets have been purple with
yellow mini-flowers at their centres.

They have a strong and gorgeous smell too.

They often grow wild. In Fiji they cover whole hillsides.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...Athens001c.jpg

Thanks,
Eddy.

P.S. Isn't the RAIN, welcome!

Old 19-03-2010, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

P.S. Isn't the RAIN, welcome!

It was. It can stop now, thank you very much. It's now lying in pools
on the ground which is sodden! The shrub looks like Lantana. They're
all over the Med. and are grown in this country, too but I've lost them
at -4C. It's a gorgeous shrub and a big favourite of mine.

Sacha, you're a gem! Many thanks, indeed!

I've just popped "lantana" into google and got a faceful of gorgeous
pics of them!

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Many thanks,
Eddy.

Old 19-03-2010, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-19 16:37:22 +0000, Eddy
said:

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone ID this beautiful flower? I think its flowers would be
described as "florets"? If so, the florets grow on quite raggedy
bushes that are about a metre tall and a metre wide. I've seen them
only in warm climates - in Fiji, India, and Greece.

It was. It can stop now, thank you very much. It's now lying in pools on
the ground which is sodden! The shrub looks like Lantana. They're all
over the Med. and are grown in this country, too but I've lost them
at -4C. It's a gorgeous shrub and a big favourite of mine.

We should all be grateful we live in a climate which can't support Lantana.
Regularly considered one of the world's worst invasive weeds. Think of
Rhododendron ponticum, and multiply it by 10!

--

Jeff

Old 19-03-2010, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-19 16:37:22 +0000, Eddy
said:

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone ID this beautiful flower? I think its flowers would be
described as "florets"? If so, the florets grow on quite raggedy
bushes that are about a metre tall and a metre wide. I've seen them
only in warm climates - in Fiji, India, and Greece.

It was. It can stop now, thank you very much. It's now lying in pools on
the ground which is sodden! The shrub looks like Lantana. They're all
over the Med. and are grown in this country, too but I've lost them
at -4C. It's a gorgeous shrub and a big favourite of mine.

We should all be grateful we live in a climate which can't support Lantana.
Regularly considered one of the world's worst invasive weeds. Think of
Rhododendron ponticum, and multiply it by 10!

AND IT CAN BE FATAL, JEFF!
Old 19-03-2010, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-19 17:07:02 +0000, "Jeff Layman"
On 2010-03-19 16:37:22 +0000, Eddy
said:

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone ID this beautiful flower? I think its flowers would be
described as "florets"? If so, the florets grow on quite raggedy
bushes that are about a metre tall and a metre wide. I've seen
them only in warm climates - in Fiji, India, and Greece.

It was. It can stop now, thank you very much. It's now lying in
pools on the ground which is sodden! The shrub looks like Lantana.
They're all over the Med. and are grown in this country, too but
I've lost them at -4C. It's a gorgeous shrub and a big favourite
of mine.

We should all be grateful we live in a climate which can't support
Lantana. Regularly considered one of the world's worst invasive
weeds. Think of Rhododendron ponticum, and multiply it by 10!

Not a problem in UK, however. Or have you found it to be so?

Unlikely! But it's a brute in Aus. Compare the US attitude to tamarisk,
or "salt cedar", as they call it (actually, I feel as though I remember
some Americans complaining about it in this newsgroup a few years ago).

--
Mike.