Old 20-03-2010, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Raised beds, Cedar or untreated

In article ,
DirtBag wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?

(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-
no)?

thanks

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde

Many people wonder about the safety of using pressure treated wood
raised garden beds to grow vegetables or fruits. A study conducted by
University of Minnesota found that vegetable crops grown in CCA-framed
garden beds can accumulate arsenic from treated wood, but based on U.S.
Public Health Standards, these vegetables would be safe for human
consumption. To be on the safe side, you can line garden beds made of
CCA-treated wood with plastic sheeting on the base and sides of the bed
to separate the wood from the soil. For more information, see:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...ne0101.html#as
and http://www.toronto.ca/health/factsheet_ptw.htm

I think most Americans believe that U.S. Public Health Standards are
more corporate friendly than people friendly. The plastic liner would be
a real pain to have to repair or replace, but it seems do-able.