Old 20-03-2010, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raised beds, Cedar or untreated

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?

(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-
no)?

thanks
Old 20-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered User

Smile

[quote=DirtBag;880826]I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?

(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-
no)?

thanks

our youngest son built me 2 boxes measuring 4ft wide and 8 feet long in 2005, from 2 by 10 untreated lumber and they are still in decent good condition .
i will be using them again this yr. for veggies.
hope this helps u some. good luck. cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat .
Old 20-03-2010, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
DirtBag wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?

(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-
no)?

thanks

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde

Many people wonder about the safety of using pressure treated wood
raised garden beds to grow vegetables or fruits. A study conducted by
University of Minnesota found that vegetable crops grown in CCA-framed
garden beds can accumulate arsenic from treated wood, but based on U.S.
Public Health Standards, these vegetables would be safe for human
consumption. To be on the safe side, you can line garden beds made of
CCA-treated wood with plastic sheeting on the base and sides of the bed
to separate the wood from the soil. For more information, see:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...ne0101.html#as
and http://www.toronto.ca/health/factsheet_ptw.htm

I think most Americans believe that U.S. Public Health Standards are
more corporate friendly than people friendly. The plastic liner would be
a real pain to have to repair or replace, but it seems do-able.

Old 20-03-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

DirtBag wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?
(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-

no)?

Leevalley.com sells a system that incorporates paving blocks, were I
to build a raised bed today that's what I'd use.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664
Old 20-03-2010, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

DirtBag wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?
(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-

no)?

Leevalley.com sells a system that incorporates paving blocks, were I
to build a raised bed today that's what I'd use.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664

I like lee valley. Check out the Japanese carpenter knife

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=51165&cat=1,51222

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/world-military-spending

Old 20-03-2010, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

DirtBag wrote:
I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how
long might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In
direct contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?

(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a
no- no)?

thanks

It depends very much on the type of timber and to a lesser degree your soil
and climate. Some like radiata pine would be lucky to last 2 years
untreated unless you live in a desert. OTOH some timbers are used for
fenceposts (or wharf pylons) and are expected to last 40 years. Around here
such are varieties of eucalyptus which are probably not available where you
are but there may be local timbers that will do the job. There is a grading
system for timber properties which includes durability in contact with the
soil, talk to your timber merchant about it.

David

Old 22-03-2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:00:51 -0400, brooklyn1
wrote:

DirtBag wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?
(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-
no)?

Leevalley.com sells a system that incorporates paving blocks, were I
to build a raised bed today that's what I'd use.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664

Hmmm...great idea. Looks easy to DIY without their system. Thanks

Charlie

What about composite decking boards?

Enjoy Life... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 23-03-2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

DirtBag wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how
long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?
(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a
no-
no)?

Leevalley.com sells a system that incorporates paving blocks, were I
to build a raised bed today that's what I'd use.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664

Hmmm...great idea. Looks easy to DIY without their system. Thanks

Charlie

What about composite decking boards?

I think they would be great for raised beds.

Charlie

Just need to put the posts a little closer together bscause they bend
easily.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 20, 1:00*pm, brooklyn1 wrote:
DirtBag *wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. *So, I'm wondering, how long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? *In direct
contact with the soil/elements. *2 years? *3 years? 10 years?
(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a no-

no)?

Leevalley.com sells a system that incorporates paving blocks, were I
to build a raised bed today that's what I'd use.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664

Looks way kewl, but must cost a bundle to ship those blocks!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Mar 20, 1:00 pm, brooklyn1 wrote:

Leevalley.com sells a system that incorporates paving blocks, were I
to build a raised bed today that's what I'd use.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664

Looks way kewl, but must cost a bundle to ship those blocks!

You didn't read it carefully. The fasteners are what they sell.
Early in the description they say something like "Lumber and
paving blocks not included." You buy those locally.

gloria p