Old 20-03-2010, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raised beds, Cedar or untreated

DirtBag wrote:
I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how
long might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In
direct contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?

(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a
no- no)?

thanks

It depends very much on the type of timber and to a lesser degree your soil
and climate. Some like radiata pine would be lucky to last 2 years
untreated unless you live in a desert. OTOH some timbers are used for
fenceposts (or wharf pylons) and are expected to last 40 years. Around here
such are varieties of eucalyptus which are probably not available where you
are but there may be local timbers that will do the job. There is a grading
system for timber properties which includes durability in contact with the
soil, talk to your timber merchant about it.

David