Old 23-03-2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Raised beds, Cedar or untreated

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:08:48 -0400, "Dan L."
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:00:51 -0400, brooklyn1
wrote:

DirtBag wrote:

I'm looking at wood for some raised beds.

Cedar 2x8's are 3x the cost untreated 2x8's. So, I'm wondering, how
long
might untreated lumber last when it's used in raised beds? In direct
contact with the soil/elements. 2 years? 3 years? 10 years?
(I'm assuming ACQ, non arsenic treated lumber is still considered a
no-
no)?

Leevalley.com sells a system that incorporates paving blocks, were I
to build a raised bed today that's what I'd use.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...55&cat=2,44664

Hmmm...great idea. Looks easy to DIY without their system. Thanks

Charlie

What about composite decking boards?

I think they would be great for raised beds.

Charlie

Just need to put the posts a little closer together bscause they bend
easily.