Old 25-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Sue Walsh

Default Peace Lily

I agree with Jan, I grew a peace lily in my barrel garden and it did
fantastic. I just washed all the soil off the roots and put it in the
barrel and off it went.

It should be noted however, that peace lily is DEADLY TO CATS, so if
you own a cat you should not use this plant. A vet told me that there
is nothing anyone can do if a cat eats the leaves of peace lily, the
cat will die. I am very serious about this. As soon as I found this
out I removed the peace lily from my barrel garden as my cat lived in
the same area that it was located in.
Just a heads up, no cats, go for the peace lily.

P.S. It is not harmful to dogs, just cats.

Sue

~ jan wrote in message ws.com...
On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 16:05:26 -0700, "joe" wrote:

I thought this NG would have the best answer for my situation. I have seen
aquarium setups that use plants with no soil as bio filters to remove waste
so I'm looking for a simular design for my aquarium but I'm not sure what
plants will work. Will peace lilies roots grow in an oxygenated water
enviroment? Of course, the plants will not be completly submerged and the
room has lots of natural sunlight.
Andre

Peace Lily is an excellent choice. I make Ponsai (small container ponds)
using it, Heart Leaf Philodendron, Variegated Arrowhead cuttings, and I'm
going to try a bamboo cutting, off one of those latest craze to the indoor
plant section. Btw, the other 3 plants have been in the ponsai for 2 years
now. The Philodendron (vine type) is now long enough to cover the cord
(small Becket bell fountain) all the way to the plug in. I use small 2"
pots filled with river rock to contain the roots. I think I might even have
a picture on my website under my pond pictures. At that time I was using it
outside with pond plants. ~ jan http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website