Old 31-03-2010, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Mushroom Problem Solved

I grow shiitake mushrooms on oak logs in my basement. Last week, I
noticed two small mushrooms budding on one of them. The next day, one
was larger but the other was gone. A couple of days later, I noticed
that the cap of the mushroom seemed to be deformed or missing on one
side. The next day, more was gone, and finally, there was just the
stalk. I wondered if mice were eating my mushrooms, but our two cats
have access to the basement all day and night, so I doubted if it were
mice.

The next day, when I went to water them, I noticed something strange
on the stalk; it was a slug who was eating the stalk. That slug must
have eaten the cap a little at a time each day. I'll put some slug
bait under the shelves, out of reach of the cats of course, and hope
that solves the problem.

Paul