Old 31-03-2010, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mushroom Problem Solved

I grow shiitake mushrooms on oak logs in my basement. Last week, I
noticed two small mushrooms budding on one of them. The next day, one
was larger but the other was gone. A couple of days later, I noticed
that the cap of the mushroom seemed to be deformed or missing on one
side. The next day, more was gone, and finally, there was just the
stalk. I wondered if mice were eating my mushrooms, but our two cats
have access to the basement all day and night, so I doubted if it were
mice.

The next day, when I went to water them, I noticed something strange
on the stalk; it was a slug who was eating the stalk. That slug must
have eaten the cap a little at a time each day. I'll put some slug
bait under the shelves, out of reach of the cats of course, and hope
that solves the problem.

Paul
Old 31-03-2010, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Pavel314 wrote:

I grow shiitake mushrooms on oak logs in my basement. Last week, I
noticed two small mushrooms budding on one of them. The next day, one
was larger but the other was gone. A couple of days later, I noticed
that the cap of the mushroom seemed to be deformed or missing on one
side. The next day, more was gone, and finally, there was just the
stalk. I wondered if mice were eating my mushrooms, but our two cats
have access to the basement all day and night, so I doubted if it were
mice.

The next day, when I went to water them, I noticed something strange
on the stalk; it was a slug who was eating the stalk. That slug must
have eaten the cap a little at a time each day. I'll put some slug
bait under the shelves, out of reach of the cats of course, and hope
that solves the problem.

Paul

You need the active ingredient to be iron (ferric) phosphate , e.g.
Sluggo, which is non-poisonous to mammals (iron + phosphate).

Old 31-03-2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 31, 1:50*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

*Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...inn_page.html- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the warning. My wife says she has some stuff that she uses
in the greenhouse and she's very careful about what she puts out
there. I'll double-check before I set it out, even though the mushroom
garden is sealed off from the cats.

Paul

Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 10:02 PM
Problem solved! Claude Orchids 2 14-10-2003 10:12 PM
blueberry weak-green color problem solved Phisherman Gardening 5 18-07-2003 01:34 AM
[IBC] Ficus religiosa: problem solved Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:44 PM
Lilies & Koi problem solved Wendy Kelly Budd Ponds 10 16-06-2003 08:56 PM