Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default Too late to change Dealing with SHADE

On 3/31/2010 5:30 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
Well I did 12 12 hour readings with a fancy light meter and got the
results I could get by eye. Essentiality I have partial sun this with
no leaves out yet. I just positioned a raised bed 8*12 that gets most
light from about ten on. I grow others stuff too in a mixed shade like
rosemary etc. Looks like salads only an maybe cherry tomatoes.

My question ...is morning or afternoon sun power differing in plant
growth nurture ? I'm going with late morning to night as best no
reason other than a few sun burns. Grasping for light as my main garden
is now about to be covered in 3 commercial green houses. The soil that
we nursed will have containers on it. Such is life.

I do fine growing tomatoes and peppers in containers on west facing deck
- sun from ~11 am til dark. Deer and shade did in my large garden a few
years ago. Just mom and I don't need all that much now.

Most of shade from large Chinese chestnut trees and I give a lot of nuts
to one neighbor who gives us his extra vegetables.