Old 31-03-2010, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Too late to change Dealing with SHADE

Well I did 12 12 hour readings with a fancy light meter and got the
results I could get by eye. Essentiality I have partial sun this with
no leaves out yet. I just positioned a raised bed 8*12 that gets most
light from about ten on. I grow others stuff too in a mixed shade like
rosemary etc. Looks like salads only an maybe cherry tomatoes.

My question ...is morning or afternoon sun power differing in plant
growth nurture ? I'm going with late morning to night as best no
reason other than a few sun burns. Grasping for light as my main garden
is now about to be covered in 3 commercial green houses. The soil that
we nursed will have containers on it. Such is life.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"I have always looked upon decay as being just as wonderful

Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 3/31/2010 5:30 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
Well I did 12 12 hour readings with a fancy light meter and got the
results I could get by eye. Essentiality I have partial sun this with
no leaves out yet. I just positioned a raised bed 8*12 that gets most
light from about ten on. I grow others stuff too in a mixed shade like
rosemary etc. Looks like salads only an maybe cherry tomatoes.

My question ...is morning or afternoon sun power differing in plant
growth nurture ? I'm going with late morning to night as best no
reason other than a few sun burns. Grasping for light as my main garden
is now about to be covered in 3 commercial green houses. The soil that
we nursed will have containers on it. Such is life.

I do fine growing tomatoes and peppers in containers on west facing deck
- sun from ~11 am til dark. Deer and shade did in my large garden a few
years ago. Just mom and I don't need all that much now.

Most of shade from large Chinese chestnut trees and I give a lot of nuts
to one neighbor who gives us his extra vegetables.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
Well I did 12 12 hour readings with a fancy light meter and got the
results I could get by eye. Essentiality I have partial sun this with
no leaves out yet. I just positioned a raised bed 8*12 that gets most
light from about ten on. I grow others stuff too in a mixed shade
like rosemary etc. Looks like salads only an maybe cherry tomatoes.

My question ...is morning or afternoon sun power differing in plant
growth nurture ?

The energy of the sun is equal either side of local noon, by that I mean
when the sun is highest in the sky not when your clock says 12, this can be
either side of 12 noon by the clock depending on where you are in your time
zone. So 2 hours before noon and two hours after noon (by the sun) the
light has the same energy.

Some plants can close their stomata when water stressed to conserve water
but this has the side effect of shutting down photosynthesis. Gardeners
sometimes prefer plants to have morning rather than afternoon sun as the air
is probably cooler and so, especially in summer, plants can take better
advantage of the sunlight for photosynthesis even if it has the same energy
because they are less water stressed.

David

'DEALING WITH PEAK OIL AND CLIMATE CHANGE' IN LONDON James the James Permaculture 0 27-04-2007 05:28 PM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM