Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardy Hibiscus

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Dave Hill" wrote
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.

Obviously not the usual H syriacus, probably a H moscheutos variety or cross
so also probably not quite so hardy and if so will like a lot of water, even
boggy ground . Saw what looked like one of those in a garden on one of my
normal routes so will keep an eye open to see if it survived this last
winter. Did look stunning.

I grew Hibiscus "palustris" and Hibiscus coccineus from seed a few years
back. The latter turned out to not be very hardy. (If I recall correctly
the first winter in open ground saw them off.) The former have survived
at least until this year - as they are late into growth I can't tell
whether they have survived this winter. But they haven't made much
growth, and have shown no sign of flowering.

I've also tried named cultivars from this group (section Muenchhusia) on
occasion, with little success - they tend to dwindle over the years.

Given it's natural distribution Hibiscus moscheutos should be frost
hardy, and as it's late into leaf I would assume that it's not bothered
by British winter dark. As a marsh plant one would also expect that it
could cope with the wet. So I don't know what the problem is - perhaps
it needs lots and lots of sun in the summer. Or perhaps they need
feeding.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley