Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Just dug the horseradish for the first time

Frank wrote:
On 4/2/2010 3:39 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
Interestingly, some of the biggest roots ran laterally from the
crowns for about a foot before turning down (just begging to be cut
by the shovel.)

Is it best to replant the crowns (that's how I got my starts; from
the cut up crown of a supermarket root) or do I throw them away and
replant small roots? Or just let the stuff come back from whatever
broke off in the ground?

Thanks,
Bob

Hmmm, the power just went out... Glad my cable modem is on a UPS.

I used to let horseradish grow back from the small roots left in the
ground. Horseradish is said to be evasive but apparently I lost mine
due to damn deer that eat everything - not roots but crown.

You wouldn't need to have deer, those evasive plants lose themselves like
politicians photographed with someone else's spouse.

David.