Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardy Hibiscus

In message , Jeff Layman
writes

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 2 Apr, 14:11, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Donwill" wrote

Dave Hill wrote:
Did anyone else notice this advert from T & M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p90830/1.html
12 inches for Hardy Hibiscus flowers?
I'm almost tempted to try some.
Thanks for that, just ordered one, or pack of 3 actually. For
price
they should fly. :-)

So have I.

You on commission David? :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

No,
I cant believe the 12 inch flowers but I've bought 2 sets,
Wonder if we can get our money back if they odnt get to that size?
David Hill

Google for dinner plate Hibiscus.
-- Stewart Robert Hinsley

Are these related to the "Disco Belle" and "Southern Belle" hybrids?

Yes.

Looking at my notes, cultivars said to have 12 inch flowers are 'Kopper
King' (moscheutos x coccineus x militaris) and 'Moy Grande' ('Southern
Belle' x grandiflorus). I would expect these to be less hardy than the
purebred moscheutos.

[But I've only got figures for 4 cultivars, out of in excess of 100, so
I don't really know what a typical size is, though 6 inches seems
reasonable.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley