Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Gardening over an egg crate soakaway

wrote:
In article ,
Gillian Hall wrote:

We are in the process of building a house and, in order to comply with
local building regulations, have had to construct an enormous soakaway
in the garden to drain the roof. This is of the egg crate type covered
with a membrane which must not be damaged by roots or cultivation. It
is approximately 400 mm down. This despite the fact that we are at the
top of a hill on free draining soil. Does anyone have any experience
of these - is there any alternative to grassing or paving the fairly
sizable area over it? We are keen gardeners and any ideas would be
appreciated.

Bend the rules as far as you like, without breaking them. Don't
plant large or deep-rooted things on top of it, but otherwise don't
worry. A more serious point is that the area will dry out badly
in summer, so you can overplant only with drought-resistant plants.
Grass is a poor choice - thyme is a good one.

But be sure that you soil really IS free-draining, deep enough to
carry the water away, as you could have various forms of trouble
if you develop run-off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

My soak away is under the lawn and you wouldn't know it was there.
Don