Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening over an egg crate soakaway

Dear all,

We are in the process of building a house and, in order to comply with
local building regulations, have had to construct an enormous soakaway
in the garden to drain the roof. This is of the egg crate type covered
with a membrane which must not be damaged by roots or cultivation. It
is approximately 400 mm down. This despite the fact that we are at the
top of a hill on free draining soil. Does anyone have any experience
of these - is there any alternative to grassing or paving the fairly
sizable area over it? We are keen gardeners and any ideas would be
appreciated.

Gill Hall
Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2010-04-05 17:20:20 +0100, Gillian Hall said:

Dear all,

We are in the process of building a house and, in order to comply with
local building regulations, have had to construct an enormous soakaway
in the garden to drain the roof. This is of the egg crate type covered
with a membrane which must not be damaged by roots or cultivation. It
is approximately 400 mm down. This despite the fact that we are at the
top of a hill on free draining soil. Does anyone have any experience
of these - is there any alternative to grassing or paving the fairly
sizable area over it? We are keen gardeners and any ideas would be
appreciated.

Gill Hall

Pots and interesting containers? *Or perhaps something really
low-growing like Lamium or Lysimachia nummularia, as long as it can't
dry right out. *If it's a sunny area, could you plant low growing herbs
like thymes, which are evergreen?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

Sounds just the place for decking or a paved area layed on sand /
gravel so it could be lifted easily if required..
David Hill
Old 05-04-2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gillian Hall" wrote in message
Dear all,

We are in the process of building a house and, in order to comply with
local building regulations, have had to construct an enormous soakaway
in the garden to drain the roof. This is of the egg crate type covered
with a membrane which must not be damaged by roots or cultivation. It
is approximately 400 mm down. This despite the fact that we are at the
top of a hill on free draining soil. Does anyone have any experience
of these - is there any alternative to grassing or paving the fairly
sizable area over it? We are keen gardeners and any ideas would be
appreciated.

Gill Hall

Gill I feel that you may be too late now, but I had a flooding problem in
the road outside my garage. They wanted to dig mine and my neighbours
concrete up to do the same. I stood my ground and the pictures show the
result

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=8ZIGT3L3

Under NO circumstances were they digging my forecourt up.

Is it too late for you to refuse or have you accepted planning permission on
those terms ? :-((

You have to be VERY VERY firm, and I am.

Good luck

Mike

--

Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gillian Hall wrote:

We are in the process of building a house and, in order to comply with
local building regulations, have had to construct an enormous soakaway
in the garden to drain the roof. This is of the egg crate type covered
with a membrane which must not be damaged by roots or cultivation. It
is approximately 400 mm down. This despite the fact that we are at the
top of a hill on free draining soil. Does anyone have any experience
of these - is there any alternative to grassing or paving the fairly
sizable area over it? We are keen gardeners and any ideas would be
appreciated.

Bend the rules as far as you like, without breaking them. Don't
plant large or deep-rooted things on top of it, but otherwise don't
worry. A more serious point is that the area will dry out badly
in summer, so you can overplant only with drought-resistant plants.
Grass is a poor choice - thyme is a good one.

But be sure that you soil really IS free-draining, deep enough to
carry the water away, as you could have various forms of trouble
if you develop run-off.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Donwill wrote:

Bend the rules as far as you like, without breaking them. Don't
plant large or deep-rooted things on top of it, but otherwise don't
worry. A more serious point is that the area will dry out badly
in summer, so you can overplant only with drought-resistant plants.
Grass is a poor choice - thyme is a good one.

My soak away is under the lawn and you wouldn't know it was there.

Where are you, how long have you been there, and what's your soil?

We haven't had a seriously dry summer in some years, but even in
the last dryish one, mine suffered. I am in Cambridge, on very
well-draining soil (like the OP). In wetter parts of the UK (or
those with cooler summers) and on heavier soils, the effects are
likely to be less.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
Donwill wrote:

Bend the rules as far as you like, without breaking them. Don't
plant large or deep-rooted things on top of it, but otherwise don't
worry. A more serious point is that the area will dry out badly
in summer, so you can overplant only with drought-resistant plants.
Grass is a poor choice - thyme is a good one.

My soak away is under the lawn and you wouldn't know it was there.

Where are you, how long have you been there, and what's your soil?

We haven't had a seriously dry summer in some years, but even in
the last dryish one, mine suffered. I am in Cambridge, on very
well-draining soil (like the OP). In wetter parts of the UK (or
those with cooler summers) and on heavier soils, the effects are
likely to be less.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

North Shropshire. 6years. Very variable, sandy loam in parts, with clay
patches.
You get to know your lawn, if you have a dry spell then you know where
the dry patches will develop and you water accordingly.
As you probably know there are many different grasses to choose from
some of which may be suitable for your particular circumstance, others not.
It depends what standard of lawn you require, myself I'm quite happy
with a green sward, not necessarily a bowling green using bents or fescues.
Gillian stated that she had approx 400mm of soil over the soak away, I
would suggest that is sufficient to have a decent lawn for the
majority of summers particularly if she waters selectively.
Cheers
Don

Planting near septic tank soakaway John Towill United Kingdom 5 14-04-2010 06:21 PM
Ground cover for a soakaway Sspider Gardening 6 09-09-2009 01:40 PM
How to safely plant a soakaway? Eddy United Kingdom 38 10-01-2008 09:34 AM
Soakaway Phil L United Kingdom 6 08-10-2005 07:37 PM
Crate Myrtle David Texas 10 13-12-2004 07:37 PM