Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening over an egg crate soakaway

In article ,
Donwill wrote:

Bend the rules as far as you like, without breaking them. Don't
plant large or deep-rooted things on top of it, but otherwise don't
worry. A more serious point is that the area will dry out badly
in summer, so you can overplant only with drought-resistant plants.
Grass is a poor choice - thyme is a good one.

My soak away is under the lawn and you wouldn't know it was there.

Where are you, how long have you been there, and what's your soil?

We haven't had a seriously dry summer in some years, but even in
the last dryish one, mine suffered. I am in Cambridge, on very
well-draining soil (like the OP). In wetter parts of the UK (or
those with cooler summers) and on heavier soils, the effects are
likely to be less.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.