Old 06-04-2010, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default germination progress

In an earlier post I listed the varieties of tomatoes that I'm starting
from seed. I started the first four on April 1, one variety on April 5,
and I plan to start the last two today, April 6. There is a huge
difference in the rate of progress between the varieties so I thought I'd
post that info here. I define the start date as the day I put them in a
glass to soak. My technique is to soak in water overnight, then put them
on a wet paper towel placed between two plates. I add water to the towels
as needed to keep them wet (once or twice a day).

The group started on April 1 are listed in the order of growth rates,
from fastest to slowest,

Sun Gold Cherry By far the quickest, I have a plate full of inch
long green sprouts.

Cosmonaut Volkov Doing well, the sprouts are 1/2 long with some
green.

Black Prince Doing almost as well as the Volkovs, about 1/3
inch with just a hint of green.

Legend Just short roots, no green yet.

I'm going to put the Sun golds into peat pots today, I'll give the
Volkovs and Black Princes a couple of more days on the wet plates before
I put them in pots. The Legends might need another week.

These were just started yesterday so there is no info yet.
April 5
Black Sea Man

I'm going to start soaking these today, I'll put them on plates tomorrow
April 6
Italian Grape
Yellow Pear