Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
YvonneD YvonneD is offline

Default Second flower spike - is this a problem?

First I complain that I only see two flower spikes on phals from a
nursery and now I have a plant growing a second spike and I'm
worried. Just can't satisfy some people!

I have a white phal. This is my most important orchid because it's
the last one my husband bought for me before he died. Usually this
plant has flowers for about 7 - 8 months. After I cut down the old
spike it starts to grow a new one within a month. It's the most
active phal that I have.

I noticed that the lower leaves were starting to look somewhat
yellow. One was bad enough to be cut off. It has 7 leaves right
now. The 2 lower leaves are turning yellow and the 3rd is starting to
feel slightly wrinkled. The others look good.

The plant has a spike now with 8 beautiful blooms. When I was
watering it today I noticed that a second spike was starting. Is this
why the leaves are going? Should I cut off the second spike or is it
OK to let it grow?

I can't believe I'm thinking of cutting off a flower spike but I
really don't want to lose this plant.

I've been successfully growing phals for about 8 years now and I'm
very careful not to over water.

What should I do?

thanks