Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Flies in Conservatory

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 05:40:23 -0700 (PDT), JimK wrote:

personally I'd avoid sprays; zappers work best at dusk/night when they
are the only source of UV;

Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly (about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't. Blue bottles, moths, midges, etc are
attracted.

You can make your own from plastic 2 litre pop bottles and some raw
mince.....

A home made fly trap inside the conservatory is likely to be more
effective than trying to reduce the exterior population. For a bait
I'd be tempted to use sugar solution rather than mince. Mince would
only attract those insects that want to lay eggs in carrion etc.
Plain water with a drop or two of washing up liquid to destrory the
surface tension might be just as effective.

--
Cheers
Dave.