Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Flies in Conservatory

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 05:40:23 -0700 (PDT), JimK wrote:

personally I'd avoid sprays; zappers work best at dusk/night when they
are the only source of UV;

Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly (about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't. Blue bottles, moths, midges, etc are
attracted.

You can make your own from plastic 2 litre pop bottles and some raw
mince.....

A home made fly trap inside the conservatory is likely to be more
effective than trying to reduce the exterior population. For a bait
I'd be tempted to use sugar solution rather than mince. Mince would
only attract those insects that want to lay eggs in carrion etc.
Plain water with a drop or two of washing up liquid to destrory the
surface tension might be just as effective.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote ((snip))
Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly (about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't.

Try leaving a (small) glass of red wine overnight in the room. They will
happily drown themselves if it's the same ones we get.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 05:40:23 -0700 (PDT), JimK wrote:

personally I'd avoid sprays; zappers work best at dusk/night when they
are the only source of UV;

Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly (about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't.

Have you given him a name?

David
Old 11-04-2010, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:18:06 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote ((snip))
Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly (about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't.

Try leaving a (small) glass of red wine overnight in the room. They will
happily drown themselves if it's the same ones we get.

For a more unpleasant death give them Heineken.

Two tiny irritating flies last night - left a glass of cider out, both
deceased by drowning this morning.
Now what to do?
Throw the cider away, or fish them out and drink it anyway ;-)
Tina

Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:47:32 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:18:06 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote ((snip))
Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly (about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't.

Try leaving a (small) glass of red wine overnight in the room. They will
happily drown themselves if it's the same ones we get.

For a more unpleasant death give them Heineken.

Two tiny irritating flies last night - left a glass of cider out, both
deceased by drowning this morning.
Now what to do?
Throw the cider away, or fish them out and drink it anyway ;-)

Wring out the flies and drink the cider )

Good idea - got the flies out with a teaspoon and drank the cider.
You cannot waste good 7.5% cider. ;-)

Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2010 16:18, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote ((snip))
Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly (about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't.

Try leaving a (small) glass of red wine overnight in the room. They
will happily drown themselves if it's the same ones we get.

Unfortunately, by the time it gets to nightfall there is usually none
left. :-)
Cheers
Don
Old 12-04-2010, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:45:39 +0200, Martin wrote:

Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly

(about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't.

Have you given him a name?

B-)

Sounds like a "floater".

"Floaters" is what they are knicknamed by us. Far to early for flies
yet, though. It got down to 0C at 0621 this morning, just before the
sun rose as it was a clear night. Looks set to be another warm, 15C+,
sunny day today. 4.4C now (0745). If it stays like this the daffs
might start to bloom by the end of the week.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Apr, 07:48, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:45:39 +0200, Martin wrote:
Not all insects are attracted to UV... there is one small fly

(about
3mm long) we get that just relatively slowly "floats" about the
middle of rooms that isn't.

Have you given him a name?

B-)

Sounds like a "floater".

"Floaters" is what they are knicknamed by us. Far to early for flies
yet, though. It got down to 0C at 0621 this morning, just before the
sun rose as it was a clear night. Looks set to be another warm, 15C+,
sunny day today. 4.4C now (0745). If it stays like this the daffs
might start to bloom by the end of the week.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I bought a Cape Sundew, they are very efficient at catching small
flies and mine even managed to capture a small moth last summer.

http://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk...---Cape-Sundew