Old 13-04-2010, 06:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default Replaced my pump

A while ago I commented that our 10 yr old pump had died. Today I bit
the bullet and replumbed the thing. I initilly had a submersed pump
at the bottom of our 7 foot deep well. that pushed water up to the
berm. Great...except for the problem of repair. That meant diving
down 7 feet. Fine now at 65. But in a decade?

So i plumber in a pondmaster that can operate outside the pond!
Changing it will mean only undooing two compression fittings.

The task was a bit tedious as I had to lower the pond level to ensure
the pump would automatically prime. The intake is in the deep well at
a 4' level, leaving 3' of water if ever it somehow pumped the pond
empty. The intake is a T of 1.5" pipe in a 5 gal bucket with hundreds
of 1/2" holes. Plenty of flow but unable to hold fish at any one
hole. Generally some eggges go through the system, but no fish that I
can tell.

The berm is better off with circulation! Maybe my green water will go
away as well. I have it for the first time in several years.

Jim