Old 15-04-2010, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default rain water

I'm a small gardener and I've heard anecdotal evidence about using
rain water rather than tap (city) water. If nothing else it would be
free of chlorine.

I've found a source for free rain barrels (55 gallon plastic drums),
so I'm thinking about this. Other than hand watering, I'm unsure how you
would get this to work. Last year, with help from these groups, I put in
a drip irrigation system. I don't want to go back.

It looks like each foot of water height yields .43 psi and the pc
emitters need about 10psi, so that is about 25' of height to get this to
work gravity fed. That is impractical for me and probably for most
people. Seems like it would have to be pumped.

Anyone using rain water for other than spot watering? Is it worth it?

Jeff