Old 15-04-2010, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default rain water

I'm a small gardener and I've heard anecdotal evidence about using
rain water rather than tap (city) water. If nothing else it would be
free of chlorine.

I've found a source for free rain barrels (55 gallon plastic drums),
so I'm thinking about this. Other than hand watering, I'm unsure how you
would get this to work. Last year, with help from these groups, I put in
a drip irrigation system. I don't want to go back.

It looks like each foot of water height yields .43 psi and the pc
emitters need about 10psi, so that is about 25' of height to get this to
work gravity fed. That is impractical for me and probably for most
people. Seems like it would have to be pumped.

Anyone using rain water for other than spot watering? Is it worth it?

Jeff
Old 15-04-2010, 10:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:
I'm a small gardener and I've heard anecdotal evidence about using
rain water rather than tap (city) water. If nothing else it would be
free of chlorine.

I've found a source for free rain barrels (55 gallon plastic drums),
so I'm thinking about this. Other than hand watering, I'm unsure how
you would get this to work. Last year, with help from these groups, I
put in a drip irrigation system. I don't want to go back.

It looks like each foot of water height yields .43 psi and the pc
emitters need about 10psi, so that is about 25' of height to get this
to work gravity fed. That is impractical for me and probably for most
people. Seems like it would have to be pumped.

Anyone using rain water for other than spot watering? Is it worth
it?
Jeff

You are going to waste your time with little drums like that if your garden
is more than a few pot plants. They hold too little and as you have already
worked out getting the water out of them to the garden is a problem. If you
really want to use rainwater and don't want to make your life's work
scurrying back and forth with buckets you should be collecting in a tank at
least 1,000 litres and 10,000 l would be better and you need a pump.

David

Old 15-04-2010, 11:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I'm a small gardener and I've heard anecdotal evidence about using rain
water rather than tap (city) water. If nothing else it would be free of
chlorine.

I've found a source for free rain barrels (55 gallon plastic drums), so
I'm thinking about this. Other than hand watering, I'm unsure how you
would get this to work. Last year, with help from these groups, I put in a
drip irrigation system. I don't want to go back.

It looks like each foot of water height yields .43 psi and the pc
emitters need about 10psi, so that is about 25' of height to get this to
work gravity fed. That is impractical for me and probably for most people.
Seems like it would have to be pumped.

Anyone using rain water for other than spot watering? Is it worth it?

I use rain water for the garden at our other farm. That farm has no
electricity, so the water is gravity fed from a header tank on a hill (we
pump the water up to the header tank using a petrol driven fire fighting
pump from the rainwater tank connected to the guttering of the house). I
don't use a lot of it given that it isn't our primary residence.

I agree with David about the size of the water recepticles you plan to use.
Our tanks hold 5,000 gallons and that sort of tank is the very minimum I'd
want to be of any use. However, having said that, I do have a friend who
uses small containers in a village near me. She uses it because of severe
water restrictions and it keeps her garden alive during +40 degree C days
over summer.

Old 15-04-2010, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

Well, I was thinking of using several chained (and as a supplement) but
even 6 isn't 1000 liters.

Where I live, Atlanta, we've had watering restrictions. Food gardens are
now exempt and I believe most restrictions have been lifted. Rain
barrels are still sold everywhere, not that I could ever figure out how
much good 7 CF of water would be spread out over a week or two!

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc..
is what made it "attractive".

Jeff

David

Old 15-04-2010, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

Fish tank water is good to. Already has some nitrogen in it, and no
chlorine.
--
- Billy

Old 15-04-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc.. is
what made it "attractive".

Jeff

I saw great improvements on my lawn and garden when I started watering
with well water. Had the well installed last spring. Of course there are
still contaminants in well water, but unless you have your own spring I
don't think they can be avoided....
Old 15-04-2010, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

I tried not filtering my small pond (~2 or 3 thousand gal I guess)
water last year. Instead I vacuum out 40 gals a week or so and replace
with fresh water from a well. Old water goes to favorite plants.
Sometimes I just bucket some out and do the same. The pond filter was
getting to be a bit labor intensive and dirty/scuming/disgusting/mucking
etc.

Works for me but I'd not feed indoor plants inside just when out for
summer break. Fish seem happly with just plants and a small bubbler
along with a horse heater in winter.

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 15-04-2010, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Shanghai McCoy wrote:

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc.. is
what made it "attractive".

Jeff

I saw great improvements on my lawn and garden when I started watering
with well water. Had the well installed last spring. Of course there are
still contaminants in well water, but unless you have your own spring I
don't think they can be avoided....

The health dept. doesn't require that you chlorinate your well?
--
- Billy
Old 16-04-2010, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/15/2010 2:30 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
Shanghai wrote:

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc.. is
what made it "attractive".

Jeff

I saw great improvements on my lawn and garden when I started watering
with well water. Had the well installed last spring. Of course there are
still contaminants in well water, but unless you have your own spring I
don't think they can be avoided....

The health dept. doesn't require that you chlorinate your well?

They do not. NW Florida here.....
Old 16-04-2010, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I'm a small gardener and I've heard anecdotal evidence about using
rain water rather than tap (city) water. If nothing else it would be
free of chlorine.

I've found a source for free rain barrels (55 gallon plastic drums),
so I'm thinking about this. Other than hand watering, I'm unsure how you
would get this to work. Last year, with help from these groups, I put in
a drip irrigation system. I don't want to go back.

It looks like each foot of water height yields .43 psi and the pc
emitters need about 10psi, so that is about 25' of height to get this to
work gravity fed. That is impractical for me and probably for most
people. Seems like it would have to be pumped.

Anyone using rain water for other than spot watering? Is it worth it?

Jeff

Rain water has nitrogen in it. City water does not. Plants love nitrogen.

Depends where you live and the size of your garden. I have five 55
gallon rain barrels and works just fine for me. It rains often enough in
Michigan were I do not need that much extra water. Just enough to get
through those slightly drier August summers. If it really gets dry, I
put an inline hose filter and the water the garden. I am on a well
system and chlorine is not a problem for me.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

Old 16-04-2010, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

Explain how you have nitrogen in your rain water, and no chlorine in
your well, please.
--
- Billy
Old 16-04-2010, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Shanghai wrote:

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc.. is
what made it "attractive".

Jeff

I saw great improvements on my lawn and garden when I started watering
with well water. Had the well installed last spring. Of course there are
still contaminants in well water, but unless you have your own spring I
don't think they can be avoided....

The health dept. doesn't require that you chlorinate your well?

They do not. NW Florida here.....

So your health dept. wants you dead?
--
- Billy
Old 16-04-2010, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

Shanghai wrote:

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc.. is
what made it "attractive".

Jeff
I saw great improvements on my lawn and garden when I started watering
with well water. Had the well installed last spring. Of course there are
still contaminants in well water, but unless you have your own spring I
don't think they can be avoided....
The health dept. doesn't require that you chlorinate your well?

They do not. NW Florida here.....

So your health dept. wants you dead?

Well, of course! It is a red state!

Jeff
Old 16-04-2010, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:

Shanghai wrote:

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc.. is
what made it "attractive".

Jeff
I saw great improvements on my lawn and garden when I started watering
with well water. Had the well installed last spring. Of course there are
still contaminants in well water, but unless you have your own spring I
don't think they can be avoided....
The health dept. doesn't require that you chlorinate your well?
They do not. NW Florida here.....

So your health dept. wants you dead?

Well, of course! It is a red state!

Jeff

Thank you for not taking up the "death panel's" time ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 16-04-2010, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:

Shanghai wrote:

I'll give up the idea. The idea of getting rid of the chlorine, etc.. is
what made it "attractive".

Were your municipal water chlorinated enough to affect your
plants/lawn it wouldn't be potable.

Jeff
I saw great improvements on my lawn and garden when I started watering
with well water.

Are not your plants growing in the ground, the same ground from where
your well water is derived... duh... if anything your well water is
far less nutrient rich than your surface soil. double duh

For yoose who are all ascared of chemical fertilizer consider watering
your lawn from your septic tank.