Old 16-04-2010, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
gloria.p gloria.p is offline

Default This is a serious debatable question about Black Widow spiders

"madgardener" wrote
I realize that the black
widow bite won't kill me but I would feel like I was having a heart
attack, and given my age now, it could mess me up. The recluse is a
no-brainer. Beneficial or not, one has to use common sense. The
widow isn't agressive, and only bites when cornered. Should I spray
her dead and make her tidy little perfect corner uninhabitable?

When we moved into this house we had black widows that created webs
all around the small front porch and in a nearby basement window well.
We managed to kill them off after a few years.

Now we have some kind of spider that looks like a recluse and appears
spring and fall in the bathtub. I used to squash them, now I just
use the shower spray to flush them down the drain.

Ordinary garden spiders don't bother me. Venomous ones do.

gloria p