Old 16-04-2010, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This is a serious debatable question about Black Widow spiders

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Yes, spiders are not really a problem. Scorpions are more likely to
cause trouble - more so than snakes. But snakes are more likely to
kill, as rare as that is.

Well, rattlers are ones to avoid, but they on't gp out of their waay to
attack larger animals, humane beans included.

You've been reading too many westerns! They aren't particularly
poisonous - they merely have a reputation for it. As far as I recall,
coral snakes are the most venomous USA ones.

Scorpions are not (AFAIK) usually deadly either, but like invading and
lurking in shoes and gloves.

Yup.

I think I'd try to remember to stuff screwed-up paper, polythene or
something in all my shoes as soon as they are taken off, and closing the
cuffs of gloves with elastic or string.

I would NOT advise wasting effort putting things in shoes - merely
shake them out before putting them on - that's what I was trained
to do as soon as I could dress myself.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.