Old 17-04-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Need holly help please( zone 9)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:20:29 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Kalmia" wrote

Borderline zone 9-10.
Had a week of freezing nights here in January.
Holly bush now has very sparse, curled leaves. What if anything can I
do to bring it back to its old green self?

I think you are too hot for Holly. You have some other issue, not the cold.
Mine was happy with 2ft of snow on it.

Not sure of the answer, but this seems more some sort of disease to me?

With many plants like rhodies the colder the more leaf curl... I can
guestimate temps pretty accurately by their leaf curl. My hollies
would bask in -20º. My spruce looks sad unless winter is -40º. With
many evergreens in the colder climes the colder the better. I would
also say zone 9-10 is much too warm for holly.