Old 16-04-2010, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need holly help please( zone 9)

Borderline zone 9-10.

Had a week of freezing nights here in January.

Holly bush now has very sparse, curled leaves. What if anything can I
do to bring it back to its old green self?

It has never had berries, to my knowledge. Former owner planted it
but I have no idea when. It was growing very sloooooooooooooowly, by
the way.

Thanks.
Old 16-04-2010, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Kalmia" wrote

Borderline zone 9-10.
Had a week of freezing nights here in January.
Holly bush now has very sparse, curled leaves. What if anything can I
do to bring it back to its old green self?

I think you are too hot for Holly. You have some other issue, not the cold.
Mine was happy with 2ft of snow on it.

Not sure of the answer, but this seems more some sort of disease to me?

Old 16-04-2010, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Kalmia" wrote

Borderline zone 9-10.
Had a week of freezing nights here in January.
Holly bush now has very sparse, curled leaves. What if anything can I
do to bring it back to its old green self?

I think you are too hot for Holly. You have some other issue, not the cold.
Mine was happy with 2ft of snow on it.

Not sure of the answer, but this seems more some sort of disease to me?

Temp could be a issue as pointed out. Some Hollies at the URL go to
Zone 9. NJ has all sort of holly available. Years ago some wild ones
were taken and propagated "Old Heavy Berry" comes to mind. I've go some
Japanese and Chinese about to add to your options and don't forget to
plant a male as it pollinates and will grant you more berries.

http://www.hollyhillnurseries.com/92...*id*key*=*sess
ion*id*val*

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 17-04-2010, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:20:29 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Kalmia" wrote

Borderline zone 9-10.
Had a week of freezing nights here in January.
Holly bush now has very sparse, curled leaves. What if anything can I
do to bring it back to its old green self?

I think you are too hot for Holly. You have some other issue, not the cold.
Mine was happy with 2ft of snow on it.

Not sure of the answer, but this seems more some sort of disease to me?

With many plants like rhodies the colder the more leaf curl... I can
guestimate temps pretty accurately by their leaf curl. My hollies
would bask in -20º. My spruce looks sad unless winter is -40º. With
many evergreens in the colder climes the colder the better. I would
also say zone 9-10 is much too warm for holly.
Old 17-04-2010, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/16/10 9:45 AM, Kalmia wrote:
Borderline zone 9-10.

Had a week of freezing nights here in January.

Holly bush now has very sparse, curled leaves. What if anything can I
do to bring it back to its old green self?

It has never had berries, to my knowledge. Former owner planted it
but I have no idea when. It was growing very sloooooooooooooowly, by
the way.

Thanks.

There are many varieties of holly. My favorite gardening book lists 19
different species and hybrids. Just within Ilex cornuta (Chinese
holly), it lists 7 varieties. Some are much more winter-hardy than
others. Some are more tolerant of hot summers than others. Take a
branch to a good nursery (not a lumber yard or hardware store) to have
it identified.

I have several I. cornuta 'Burfordii Nana' (dwarf Burford holly), both
in front and in back. They grow vigorously and always produce abundant
berries. Our winters are relatively mild, never getting colder than the
upper 20s. Our summers can be torrid, with temperatures sometimes
reaching 110F. On the other hand, my summers are far too hot for I.
aquifolium (English holly), which is hardy down to about 10F.

Hollies are similar to asparagus, Ginkgo biloba, and ash trees in that
there are male plants and female plants. All varieties of I. cornuta
that have berries do so without cross pollination. Most other species
of holly require cross pollination from a male plant for a female to
produce berries.

Hollies require acid soil that drains well. They are susceptible to
scale and leaf miners, both of which can cause severe damage. They
respond well to heavy pruning, which is best done in the early winter.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 16, 12:45*pm, Kalmia wrote:
Borderline zone 9-10.

Had a week of freezing nights here in January.

Holly bush now has very sparse, curled leaves. *What if anything can I
do to bring it back to its old green self?

It has never had berries, to my knowledge. * Former owner planted it
but I have no idea when. *It was growing very sloooooooooooooowly, by
the way.

Thanks.

Update: it's coming back. Leaves are green and new leaves are
sprouting. Yay.