Old 17-04-2010, 08:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener[_3_] madgardener[_3_] is offline

Default This is a serious debatable question about Black Widow spiders

On Apr 16, 2:01*pm, Bud wrote:
Blackwidow spiders will not bother you. One of the more beneficial
arthroposds you can have in the garden. You wont find many and will not harm
you if you just evade them. I've picked tomatos right by them. Just do it
slowly.

I wanted to thank all of you for your input. Knowing I still have
more than two or three out there, I went to make the final decision,
and because I had disturbed her web that she'd cast over my sedums and
baby plants from the open crack in the bricks, she huffed off and
didn't replace it. I believe she moved. Where is a ponder. I will
have to be cautious now as I have temporairly moved the larger cactus
to the edge of the carport where they can get the benefit of the full
southern sun until I can position them out where they'll get rain and
such. This black widow has moved on somewhere else. (I have to remind
James that the tarp he's stretched over his tools on the back of the
carport is VERRRRY inviting.........not only for widows but
unfortunately for recluse. Although I don't think they'd tolerate each
other. it would be one or the other. But knowing that if I am
cautious and aware of them, I can let them be is a better solution.
I'd not do this if my grand babies were in my gardens. But I'm too
far for them to visit. I'm still going to have to become diligent
about wearing gloves only because I have too many wonderful places for
widows to make a home. Thanks for your input! (I love rattlesnake, by
the way......it's not bad as I remember. didn't really taste like
chicken, but it was a white meat that I recall. My great uncle Az
cooked a few when we visited him and his wife in Texas when I was a
young child. Aunt Hattie fried it and it wasn't bad.

thanks guys! I'll crank out a garden ramble soon. slipping behind
the willow oaks............

madgardener in west faerie holler somewhere in far West Tennessee,
zone 7b, Sunset zone 33