Old 19-04-2010, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default A Bit Of Clarification Requested Re Using Lime For Lawn Grass Problem, Please. And, Re Lime Usage

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 4/19/2010 1:52 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for all the replies re using lime to help my moss problem on my
grass.

One thing wasn't too clear though.

Will applying the lime, work mainly to help prevent new moss from
forming due to the now changed ph,

Or, will it (also) help kill what's there now ?

BTW: does everyone feel that the garden store lime granules are
perfectly safe to use irrespective of ph results ? Any caveats ?

Thanks,
Bob

My soil was acidic and probably still is but I have not checked pH after
liming with ground limestone (calcium carbonate). It was not like moss
died immediately but with time grass became predominant.
Doubt you could over lime as it takes quite a bit and limestone probably
takes a long time to react. I would only be concerned if using calcium
hydroxide or oxide which might burn things if over applied.

The change at the interface between the acidic soil and the limestone
base will be immediate, but it will take awhile for the limestone to
penetrate the soil. The process will be speeded up, if you keep the soil
damp.
--
- Billy