Old 20-04-2010, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
piedmont[_2_] piedmont[_2_] is offline

Default This is a serious debatable question about Black Widow spiders

"Billy" wrote in message
snip

Welcome to "wrecked gardens", personally, I hope you find the site
informative.

You may wish to look up "Biodiversity"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiversity
#Human_benefits, and #Destruction_of_habitat

The simplest model would be the wolf and the rabbit, when their
populations are in balance, neither are a nuisance to humans, but let
the wolf population drop and the rabbits eat everything in sight. Let
the rabbit population drop, and hungry wolves become a menace to people.

Kill spiders, and you invite mosquitos and/or flies. The other resort is
polluting the environment with insecticides (see
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...guins-ddt.html)
. You will find many gardeners here who will grant wildlife, a portion
of their crops, beyond that, you need to look into "integrated pest
management".

I'm not suggesting that you let Black Widows into your bed, but you may
want to cut non-venomous critters some slack, as they are probably
performing an indispensable service for you.

snip
--
- Billy

I hear what your saying and do try to leave a small footprint, here in the
Carolina's wasp can be over whelming and try to set up nests everywhere. If
I see a nest on my front or back porch they are dispatched, anywhere else
they aren't a bother, oh I forgot under the raised back deck where I stored
my lawn tractor.

As far as spiders a strongly suggest wearing gloves at all times working in
a garden and especially if picking up rocks. I totally understand and have
personally observed tampering with the thread. I worked at a shop when one
day a mouse was seen in an office trash can after the weekend, big deal,
dump it out , but because the ladies in the office freaked the mgr had rat
bait put out to kill all the mice. Well guess what, after all the mice where
killed there was a gross invasion of hundreds of roaches that the mice ate
and kept at bay. It was indeed better to have the mice!

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/