Old 20-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Sean Houtman

Default insect killing Douglas fir

From: Archimedes Plutonium

One of my best fir trees turned brown this Spring. I had thought it was
winterburn. But when I dug it up I noticed a huge gelatinous white mass
with
tiny yellow balls of the size of BBs. I pinched open one of these yellow

balls and could see it was some sort of egg case for some sort of
insect.

Anyone know what this is? And does it affect blue spruce or pine trees?
Or
does it affect only Douglas fir?

Douglas-Fir isn't really a Fir. Ask your county Extension agent about the
infestation, they may be root mealybugs.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;
http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage