Old 22-04-2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Watering tomato in pot.

In article ,
"piedmont" wrote:

I have a tomato in about a 10 gallon pot. I assume it takes in heat and my
dry out sooner than in the ground, i have 4 inches of pine bark mulch. Last
year I drench once daily about 3 in the afternoon and the fruit skin split
from the excess watering at least i think that is waht caused it. I also
assume it is ok for it to go dry than water, more natural, anyway, rather
than assuming anything, can anyone offer watering suggestions?

Wait until the top inch is dry before you water. And that is way too
much bark mulch. Use an inch of lawn clippings or add 1 cup alfalfa
(lucerne) pellets once a month.
--
- Billy