Old 22-04-2010, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Watering tomato in pot.

I have a tomato in about a 10 gallon pot. I assume it takes in heat and my
dry out sooner than in the ground, i have 4 inches of pine bark mulch. Last
year I drench once daily about 3 in the afternoon and the fruit skin split
from the excess watering at least i think that is waht caused it. I also
assume it is ok for it to go dry than water, more natural, anyway, rather
than assuming anything, can anyone offer watering suggestions?

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Old 22-04-2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 4/21/2010 7:35 PM, piedmont wrote:
I have a tomato in about a 10 gallon pot. I assume it takes in heat and
my dry out sooner than in the ground, i have 4 inches of pine bark
mulch. Last year I drench once daily about 3 in the afternoon and the
fruit skin split from the excess watering at least i think that is waht
caused it. I also assume it is ok for it to go dry than water, more
natural, anyway, rather than assuming anything, can anyone offer
watering suggestions?

Do your pots drain? I've never been able to over water mine.
Old 22-04-2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"piedmont" wrote:

I have a tomato in about a 10 gallon pot. I assume it takes in heat and my
dry out sooner than in the ground, i have 4 inches of pine bark mulch. Last
year I drench once daily about 3 in the afternoon and the fruit skin split
from the excess watering at least i think that is waht caused it. I also
assume it is ok for it to go dry than water, more natural, anyway, rather
than assuming anything, can anyone offer watering suggestions?

Wait until the top inch is dry before you water. And that is way too
much bark mulch. Use an inch of lawn clippings or add 1 cup alfalfa
(lucerne) pellets once a month.
--
- Billy

Old 22-04-2010, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

piedmont wrote:
I have a tomato in about a 10 gallon pot. I assume it takes in heat
and my dry out sooner than in the ground, i have 4 inches of pine
bark mulch. Last year I drench once daily about 3 in the afternoon
and the fruit skin split from the excess watering at least i think
that is waht caused it. I also assume it is ok for it to go dry than
water, more natural, anyway, rather than assuming anything, can
anyone offer watering suggestions?

In general pots do dry out quickly but it varies with situation. When in
doubt test. Poke your finger under the mulch and into the soil, if it is
still damp don't water.

David

Old 22-04-2010, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Apr 22, 7:48*am, "piedmont" wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

On 4/21/2010 7:35 PM, piedmont wrote:
I have a tomato in about a 10 gallon pot. I assume it takes in heat and
my dry out sooner than in the ground, i have 4 inches of pine bark
mulch. Last year I drench once daily about 3 in the afternoon and the
fruit skin split from the excess watering at least i think that is waht
caused it. I also assume it is ok for it to go dry than water, more
natural, anyway, rather than assuming anything, can anyone offer
watering suggestions?

Do your pots drain? *I've never been able to over water mine.

They drain.

--
regards, piedmont (michael)
The Practical BBQ'r -http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/
(mawil55) Hardiness Zone 7-8

That's funny. Maybe it's the soil. I use plain top soil. Pots are
on my deck and I water with a bucket. Always like to see water in the
base.
Old 23-04-2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

I laid down a couple layers of anti weed fabric over hole in bottom, then
pieces of broken clay pots then put in the potting soil.

Old 23-04-2010, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Frank" wrote in message

[...]

Then I don't have answer. Billy points to too much mulch - I don't use
any. Seldom to never get splitting. I water by bucket and like to see
water in bottom container.
Old 26-04-2010, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Andy comments:

Here in Texas we have to grow our tomatoes and our pot in separate
locations
since the sherrif spots it from the air, and the tomatoes would be
a dead giveaway.......

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Old 27-04-2010, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"AndyS" wrote in message
Andy comments:

Here in Texas we have to grow our tomatoes and our pot in separate
locations
since the sherrif spots it from the air, and the tomatoes would be
a dead giveaway.......

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Yeaaah, I was waiting for someone to note the 'pot'. : )