Old 24-04-2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Help me protect 3 trees from a tosser

On Apr 22, 9:13*am, whelmed
wrote:
Hi all - this is my first posting here. *I signed up to see if I could
get some help with a neighbourhood problem I've got right now.

Background: Some arse doesn't like a tree in the centre of a lovely
housing complex. *It's just one person, and everyone else loves it. *He
sent threatening letters to the property maintence people a few months
back saying it's blocking his view of the river and that it must be cut
down. *He lives in an attic by himself and is a real off character.

We live in a lovely area which is deemed a conservation area. *In our
area 3 trees have been damaged. *You can draw a straight line from the
river through these three damaged locations right to his window. *Two
trees have been slashed with a saw and a third smaller tree has had a
bunch of branches cut off. *The two that are slashed are larger silver
birches, with the one in the centre of the complex (possibly even
planted when the complex was started as a park is built around it) being
over 40 feet tall. *The slashes are 1-2 inch deep wounds circling the
outside of the tree. *Looking at it, I'd say it has a 50/50 chance of
living (if you want I can take pictures). *

As it's a conservation area, the police have been contacted and
involved. *We gave them the letter, and they saw the obvious line to his
window. *That matter is entirely in their hands now. *What I'm looking
for help for is this:

Is there anything that I can put on the tree to help it mend? *Next up,
if the trees live, what can I put around it in order to protect them? *I
was considering metal bars / some sort of mesh but would like it to look
nice as well.

Thoughts / comments are appreciated.

--
whelmed