Old 22-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered User

Default Help me protect 3 trees from a tosser

Hi all - this is my first posting here. I signed up to see if I could get some help with a neighbourhood problem I've got right now.

Background: Some arse doesn't like a tree in the centre of a lovely housing complex. It's just one person, and everyone else loves it. He sent threatening letters to the property maintence people a few months back saying it's blocking his view of the river and that it must be cut down. He lives in an attic by himself and is a real off character.

We live in a lovely area which is deemed a conservation area. In our area 3 trees have been damaged. You can draw a straight line from the river through these three damaged locations right to his window. Two trees have been slashed with a saw and a third smaller tree has had a bunch of branches cut off. The two that are slashed are larger silver birches, with the one in the centre of the complex (possibly even planted when the complex was started as a park is built around it) being over 40 feet tall. The slashes are 1-2 inch deep wounds circling the outside of the tree. Looking at it, I'd say it has a 50/50 chance of living (if you want I can take pictures).

As it's a conservation area, the police have been contacted and involved. We gave them the letter, and they saw the obvious line to his window. That matter is entirely in their hands now. What I'm looking for help for is this:

Is there anything that I can put on the tree to help it mend? Next up, if the trees live, what can I put around it in order to protect them? I was considering metal bars / some sort of mesh but would like it to look nice as well.

Thoughts / comments are appreciated.
Old 24-04-2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
whelmed

Motion activaed game camera.
Old 25-04-2010, 09:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"whelmed" wrote in message

[...]

To do anything that would stop the tosser slashing the trees would be
expensive - contact the property maintenance people and ask them investigate
and install proper tree guards. Take up a collection to help them buy some
guards if need be. The tosser is most likely to poison the trees and there
really is nothing you can do to stop that other than to mount a 24 hour
guard.

Old 25-04-2010, 10:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

"beecrofter" wrote in message
On Apr 22, 9:13 am, whelmed
wrote:
[...]

super glue in his front door lock

rob

Old 26-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered User

Well I'm considering getting a tree guard myself and installing it. Found a cheapish one which is still quite nice. I do hope that they put up a camera of some sort - I just don't understand some peoples logic.

So I've read conflicting reports on wrapping of trees after this type of damage. Some say don't fill the cuts as it traps moisture in and accelerates the rot. Others say it stops bugs from getting in and saves them in the end. That's kind of the problem with google, because you'll always find an answer, but not just the right answer.

Any thoughts on wrapping / food supplements for the tree?

Old 26-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered User

Oh, and as for doing shady things to this shady character. Unfortunately I'm not a UK native - I'm from Canada and am doing a PhD here. If I got caught doing something like that, it would mean deportation and failure of my degree. So while I'd love to get biblical on his arse (eye for an eye), sadly it's just not going to happen.
Old 26-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Registered User

Hrm, this may be a bit of over posting shrapnel - but find attached the pictures of what he did the the bigger tree (first 4) and the smaller one (last picture). Again, any hints for how to keep them alive, assuming he does nothing else & is scarred off by police and (hopefully) surveillance.

Old 26-04-2010, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
whelmed wrote:

The slashes are 1-2 inch deep wounds circling the
outside of the tree.

If the slashes are continuous around the circumference of the trees
(i.e. the trees were "girdled"), the roots have lost life support and
the trees will slowly die. What a shame - I hope the responsible party
can be prosecuted.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 22, 8:13*am, whelmed
wrote:
[...]

such a shame that this Richard Cranium has such disregard for a tree
who's life would have exceeded his own. To deliberately destroy a tree
that's quietly grown for 40 years, cleans the air, houses birds and
provides shade and temperatures 15° F cooler on a hot day is beyond my
comprehension. The solutions above and below are interesting. Super
glue in the door lock is a good one. I'd say report him to the
community authorities. Direct retaliation would be pointless. He's
already girdled the tree and it WILL die a horrible death. Know that
Karma is a bitch. Mother Nature will get him back, just give it time.
Maybe someone should nail his windows shut for him? Or paint the
outside of his window glass.......nahh, never mind. He's not worth it.
It's his type that think that the deforestation of the rain forests is
justifiable because the local people need the wood. And the builders
need the scaffolding for their tall buildings. Or more land to graze
cattle, even if the soil depth is just three inches and is barren
after two years grazing........never mind. I just jumped
tangient......sorry. Vote him out of the building. Or get his rent
raised so he has to relocate. Unless he's getting assistance on his
living expenses. If that's the case, everyone is screwed and will have
to install something indestructable. Like a billboard
advertisment...... maddie going back to her gardening in the
Mississippi River Delta region of Western Tennessee now in her new
Faerie Holler where all trees and bushes and perennials are welcome