Old 24-04-2010, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Using Daffodil remains as part of Organic matter

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

snip

Anyway, a citation, please, if you have it.

I didn't see anything regarding transferring toxicity, it would seem
unlikely.

I did find this:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...rdening/102176

Daffodils are not only poisonous to people and animals, they are even
poisonous to other plants. When you place them in a bouquet of flowers,
the other flowers will wilt. So if you give your mom daffodils for
Easter, keep them in a vase by themselves.

I have no idea of any implications of that, but it caught my
attention. That would be entirely different than growing them amongst
other plants.

Jeff

Thank you,

Thanks. No one else mentions this, and there is no finding Traute, sie
ist weg.

You are more than welcome. Daffodils appear to have a lot of calcium
oxalate, not really harmful to animal life, but there are some ties to
wilting. Ah, found this:

http://www.marthastewart.com/plant/n...us-king-alfred

Before using daffodils in arrangements with other flowers, place them in
tepid water for a few hours. Their sap contains calcium oxalate, which
will shorten the lives of other cut flowers if the daffodils aren't
first conditioned separately.

Kidney stones are largely made of the same mineral, but it seems
highly unlikely that daffodils will cause any hazard to animal life
through any possible transfers, the alkaloids appear to be the concern.
It also seems that little "leakage" is likely from daffodils to
neighboring plants. So, *probably*, nothing to worry about!

What I like about them, and mine are all of the wild variety, is that
their flowering and growing season is largely before any other plants.
Hence they can be grown very successfully in areas that will be quite
shady later. Not where you would grow vegetables, but a habitat I have
in abundance!

Jeff