Old 29-04-2010, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Growing radishes? ? ?

"Ray" wrote:

For years, I have planted radishes -- in
various
times, in various depths, in various locations. I follow the directions
on
the packet to the Nth degree. No matter where or when I plant, I only get

spindly stems -- never a radish.

As I recall, kids in the fifth grade plant radish seed as their science
project, and often are successful.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just crazy?

Radish needs to grow quickly but not too quickly or the roots will
crack, Radish likes *cold wet* weather, and full sun. Once the
ground becomes too warm and dry radish grows too slowly so produces
spindly woody roots... same with insufficient sun. Also the growing
medium needs to be light and loamy. Radish seed once planted can
easily sustain periods of hard frost before germination, and in fact
will benefit... so sow radish earlier than all other veggies, and with
sucession sowings about a week apart.... same in reverse come fall.