Old 27-04-2010, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing radishes? ? ?

There's a definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over,
expecting a different result.

I guess that applies to me. For years, I have planted radishes -- in various
times, in various depths, in various locations. I follow the directions on
the packet to the Nth degree. No matter where or when I plant, I only get
spindly stems -- never a radish.

As I recall, kids in the fifth grade plant radish seed as their science
project, and often are successful.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just crazy?

Old 27-04-2010, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Ray" wrote:

There's a definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over,
expecting a different result.

I guess that applies to me. For years, I have planted radishes -- in various
times, in various depths, in various locations. I follow the directions on
the packet to the Nth degree. No matter where or when I plant, I only get
spindly stems -- never a radish.

As I recall, kids in the fifth grade plant radish seed as their science
project, and often are successful.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just crazy?

Check the viability of your seed.

More here use the general info and fine tune with local help.

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A3686.PDF
Bill

--

łThat means on average 18 veterans commit suicide
each day."
Old 28-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray[_3_] View Post
There's a definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over,
expecting a different result.

I guess that applies to me. For years, I have planted radishes -- in various
times, in various depths, in various locations. I follow the directions on
the packet to the Nth degree. No matter where or when I plant, I only get
spindly stems -- never a radish.

As I recall, kids in the fifth grade plant radish seed as their science
project, and often are successful.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just crazy?
Radishes are a cool-season crop and do not do well in the hot summer months.radishes will thrive in pots, small corners and between larger plants. They are ready in around 8 weeks and will often hold for a few weeks in the ground before harvesting.
Old 29-04-2010, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ray" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill. It can't be the seed, because I get a new packet every year.
And they always come up -- just no radishes, only spindly stems

Old 29-04-2010, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" wrote:

For years, I have planted radishes -- in
various
times, in various depths, in various locations. I follow the directions
on
the packet to the Nth degree. No matter where or when I plant, I only get

spindly stems -- never a radish.

As I recall, kids in the fifth grade plant radish seed as their science
project, and often are successful.

Am I doing something wrong, or am I just crazy?

Radish needs to grow quickly but not too quickly or the roots will
crack, Radish likes *cold wet* weather, and full sun. Once the
ground becomes too warm and dry radish grows too slowly so produces
spindly woody roots... same with insufficient sun. Also the growing
medium needs to be light and loamy. Radish seed once planted can
easily sustain periods of hard frost before germination, and in fact
will benefit... so sow radish earlier than all other veggies, and with
sucession sowings about a week apart.... same in reverse come fall.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 30, 7:50 am, "Ray" wrote:
Thanks -- I'll try that, and if it doesn't work, to hell with radishes.

Andy comments:

Don't give up if you get good radish greens. They can be cooked
just like turnip greens, and can make a nice slad when eaten raw
with a little dressing.

Furthermore, if you get some whole radishes, they can be cooked
and are very much like those little potatoes you get in restaurants.
Put them in boiling water for 8-10 minutes, and they change character
completely --- the "hotness" disappears, and the texture is that of
a boiled potato. I cook the greens and the radishes together, after
chopping the greens.

I like radishes because, around here, I can get 5 packs of seeds
for
a dollar, and they grow in 3-4 weeks. Sandy soild is very good for
them. This is North Texas .

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
AndyS wrote:

On Apr 30, 7:50 am, "Ray" wrote:
[...]

Weirder and weirder. The greens, not the pods?
--
- Billy

[IMG] code is On

Growing radishes? ? ? Ray[_3_] Gardening 9 04-08-2012 05:37 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM