Old 30-04-2010, 11:29 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_20_] Jonno[_20_] is offline

Default any whipper-snipper experts here?

Electric motors can get overloaded, as Len says. You cannot change physics.
They just react differently They can burn out suddenly.
Not to say it will though. It depends on how tough a build the motor is.
With continues running it most certainly will.
But with short burts, and cooling time between, it will probably go a long
time.

"John Savage" wrote in message
gardenlen writes:
i'm wading in a bit late here but all i can add is that you shouldn't
run line in these machines that is thicker than that recommended by
the manufacturer, if you have the work for heavier line then you need
to look at upsizing the machine to suit the purpose, by the sounds of
it something around a 20++cc straight shaft model?

also running the heavier line could cause clutch slippage and clutch
burn out, plus as i found the engine needs to work harder.

Hi Len. Appreciate the caution about overloading petrol trimmers.
But that's not what I'm using.

I wrote:
I use an electric line-trimmer to mow a grassy area of stony ground

^^^^^^^^