Old 20-04-2003, 05:56 AM

Default PMDD in UK / BBA

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Sorry about the crosspost.....

Im in the UK and im after some PMDD but im having trouble getting some of
the ingredients. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to ship some
to me, either from within the uk or from the ROW.

Check post by myself and Wayne on TropicalFishCenter forums.
There are suppliers in the UK. They sell everything you need.

Is it likely that dosing PMDD may help with my problem of BBA?

It can greatly help improve plant growth.
That, with adding enough CO2 can stop new BBA growth.
You may want to alter the routine and amounts but the general dosing
is okay if you have lower lighting. PO4 will run too low if you have a
fully planted tank and there's none in the tap water and you seldom do
water changes with the tap etc. PO4 is not bad.

Most every BBA case I've seen, gotten rid of, etc has had poor CO2
associated with it.
You'll need to trim off all the BBA, or soak the infected parts in a
20:1 water/bleach dip for 1-2 minutes , then correct the conditions so
that new growth doesn't appear again.
SAE's are good herbivores for BBA generally.

Ive got a
160litre tank, dosing iron and potassium every other day (25ml of the
fertiliser which contains .1% iron), diy Co2 at about 20ppm,

There it is. Poor CO2 levels I'd say at least some of the time.
Check the CO2 level at night before the lights go off. Check near the
end of thre week before a Brew change. Change the bottles every week
etc. You likely do not have enough CO2 and it's rather hard to over
dose with the DIY.

120 watts of
6500k lighting, using a nitrate and phosphate filter on my tap water

Get rid of those, they are removing the two main things you need for
good plant growth after CO2.

and
Rowaphos in my tank (about 10ppm nitrate) Im getting BBA on most of my slow
growing plants and on the tops of my vallis. Im also getting the odd bit of
green hair algae on glass and rocks and plants.

Any ideas

Mark

You'll need to keep the CO2 between 20-30ppm at all times when the
lights are on.
You'll need to add the following if and only if you can get the CO2
issue dealt with:
2x a week 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3
1/2 teaspoon of K2SO4(once a week only after 50% weekly water change)
3 rice grains worth of KH2PO4 2x a week.
7-8 mls of trace element mix (iron etc) 2x a week

Add the above to your tank for 3 weeks and up it to 3x a week perhaps
if things are growing good.
CO2 is the big issue here. You need to remove the algae that's there
now. Then you correct the conditions so no new growth appears.

By doing the routine above for the nutrients, you will not have
problems with having enough nutrients.
Having too little is as bad and is more common a cause of algae than
too much of something.

Check your tap water by giving them a call and ask for the NO3 and the
PO4 levels delivered. You might need not to add KNO3 etc if it's high
in the tap. Then you don't add that, just the others. Same thing if
PO4 is high etc.
Water change resets the tank and adding the nutrients in the ratio and
volumes listed about will yield good growth.

Good plant growth is your best defense from all types of algae.

Regards,
Tom Barr