Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Buckley Mike Buckley is offline

Default Tomatoes Slow

In message , ®óñ© © ²°¹°
writes
On Sat, 01 May 2010 12:07:03 +0100, JMS
wrote:

My seedlings do seem to be much slower growing to a reasonable height
- ready to pot on in to 10 inch this year.

45 days since sowing.

23 days since potting on in to 3" pots.

Stood above heated sand bed in greenhouse.

I tend to let nearly dry out before watering.

I never normally feed at all until flowering.

Comments? or Suggestion please.

It depends to some extent what compost they are in atm
but I would have thought that if they are still in pots over heated
sand, they may well be too dry and too hot.

Mine have been planted in to greenhouse borders in an unheated
greenhouse for 2 weeks. They were on their second potting (in 3"
pots) I planted them as deep as possible (up to their first true
leaves) and they are now taking off fast, all at least 12-15" tall and
I can't keep up with the side shoots.

Planting up to the first leaves, not heard that before, will try it.

Mine are now outside (no greenhouse and they outgrew the kitchen), all
around 8" high. Probably have to bring them in tonight though.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2